US Faculty and Advisors
This section of the website aims to provide a wide range of important resources for U.S. faculty and advisors, from advising information to professional development opportunities for your students.
SiPN at a glance
- Funded by a major Portuguese Foundation whose focus is to bridge US and PT – the Luso-American Development Foundation (FLAD);
- Strong institutional support (Portuguese Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education, US Embassy in Lisbon, Municipality of Lisbon, Fulbright Commission, Insitute for International Education – Gilman Scholarships. among others);
- Unique network with Portugal’s top universities;
- Access to hundreds of courses taught in English each semester and countless courses in Portuguese for those with enough fluency;
- Focus on the Student Experience
- Comprehensive pre-travel and orientation programming
- Permanent on-site counseling and advising
- Field trips that are designed to provide more insight into the different Portuguese landscapes
- Visiting Family Program – for semester students only – place students who volunteer for the VFP with a local Portuguese family
- Buddy Program – for semester students only – place students with a Portuguese student. For a better adjustment to the country, university, language, etc
- As part of SiPN’s experience/field trips, among other interesting trips, we fly our Fall students to Azores Island. In the Spring we include a weekend-long trip to Madeira Island
- SiPN provides a Turnkey solution for US higher education organizations.
- Flexibility in billing arrangements: direct billing to students or the home tuition model, or hybrids of the two
- 4 of the 4 business schools in the consortium enjoy AACSB accreditation
- FLAD sponsors the Fulbright Commission to Portugal with 2 Fulbright/FLAD Open Study Research Award (all areas), among other sponsorships directed for Portuguese student/researchers to develop academic work in the US. The agreement that FLAD has with Fulbright, is that if we have any SiPN alum who is part of the list of finalists that are sent to the Commission in Portugal, FLAD/SiPN will recommend that student as suggested awardee.
- FLAD is proud to partner with the Gilman Scholarship Program in establishing the Gilman-FLAD/SiPN Portugal Scholarship, a highly selective award for underrepresented U.S. students to study in Portugal via SiPN. Students also have the opportunity to study Portuguese, a critical need language which will increase the award substantially. This partnership builds cooperation between Portugal and the United States and promotes Portugal as a destination for learning
- Other funding opportunities provided by FLAD, such as SiPN/FLAD partial scholarships (each year we award roughly $25,000 in partial scholarships based on both financial need and academic merit).
- Since the Summer of 2015, SiPN have hosted more than 1000 students from nearly 60 different schools in the US, see here the list of SiPN´s current partner universities.
- As part of SiPN´s experience/field trips, among other interesting trips, we fly our Fall students to Azores, Sao Miguel island. In the Spring we include a weekend-long trip to Madeira Island
- Availability for FLAD to fund a round trip flight to Lisbon + 3 nights in a hotel for a study abroad official from a SiPN partner US university to come to check out first hand SiPN’s operation. The goal would be to provide that person with a better understanding of the program and therefore to allow for a better advising capacity to future SiPN participants, and/or faculty.
- Student satisfaction: 98% of all SiPN participants would recommend SiPN to others.
- 3rd safest country in the world (world peace index)
- 5th most spoken language in the world
- Physical and cultural proximity with the US (“pro-Atlantic” attitude)
- English widely spoken
- Sunniest European capital
- Increasing number of direct flights to/from the US (New York, Newark, Boston, Providence, Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, etc)
- Cosmopolitan city (home of the WebSummit – largest Tech/start-up conference, with Google, Amazon, etc offices’, etc) Amazing blend with the old & the new!